Located in Room 139 at the Indian River County Courthouse
Extensions 3104 and 3107
Serving as a juror is a privilege that accompanies living in a democracy. Jurors are selected randomly by a computer from a list provided by the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle list of licensed drivers and identification holders.
In order to serve as a juror in Indian River County, you must be:
- 18 years of age;
- a citizen of the United States;
- a legal resident of the state of Florida and Indian River County.
Optional exemptions from jury duty can be claimed. These exemptions are based on your claim that you:
- are an expectant mother;
- are a parent not employed full time who has custody of a child under 6 years of age;
- are a person 70 years of age or older;
- are a full time law enforcement officer or law enforcement investigative personnel;
- are responsible for the care of a person incapable of caring for self because of mental illness, senility or physical or mental incapacity;
- have served within one year.
You are mandatorily disqualified from service as a juror if you:
- are a convicted felon;
- are under prosecution for any crime;
- are no longer residing in Indian River County;
- are under 18 years of age;
- are not a citizen of the United States of America.
You may receive a one time postponement from jury duty if you make such a request no less than 10 working days from your reporting date. You will be notified if your postponement is granted.
If you are:
- regularly employed and your employer continues to pay you, you will not receive compensation for the first 3 days of service.
- not regularly employed or not paid your wages by your employer during jury service, you will receive $15 per day for the first 3 days of service.
- required to serve more than 3 days, you will be paid $30 per day regardless of your employment status.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I have been summoned to report Monday morning. How can I find out if I need to show up?
Call 770-5156 after Friday at 5:00 to determine which jurors are needed and when. The message will give you instructions or check the Clerk's web site at www.clerk.indian-river.org.
- I am 75 years old. Do I need to serve?
No, law excuses you if you sign an affidavit available in our office, but you may serve.
- What will happen to me if I don't show up?
You may be found in contempt of court and/or fined.
- I carry a pocket knife on my key chain. Is it okay to bring it into the Courthouse?
No, the following items may not be brought into the Courthouse at any time:
- Knives of any type
- Sprays (mace, pepper, or any type of pressurized flammable)
- Glass bottles
- Beverages of Any Kind
- Screwdrivers, Pliers, or Wrenches
- Wire cutters
- Kitchen forks
- Laser pointers
- Nails or Screws
- Letter openers
- Bottle openers
- Knitting needles
- Metal comb picks
- Weapons of any type
- Contraband of any type