Located in Room 105 at the Indian River County Courthouse
The Traffic Department handles all traffic tickets issued in Indian River County, animal control citations, municipal ordinance and code enforcement infractions and all misdemeanor cases.
OnLine Search for Traffic and Misdemeanor Records
Cash, money orders, cashier's check, Visa, MasterCard or Discover are accepted.
Payments can be made via www.myfloridacounty.com
Cashier's checks or money orders should be made out to Jeffrey R. Smith , Clerk of Court.
Our mailing address is: P.O. Box 1028, Vero Beach, FL 32961
Pleading Not Guilty:
To plead not guilty, it is necessary to:
- complete the form provided with the envelope given when citation is received; or
- complete the form provided at the Traffic counter; or
- send a letter with a valid return address pleading not guilty.
After receiving a plea of not guilty, a court date will be set and a Notice to Appear will be mailed to the defendant.
The recipient of a citation can attend driving school if:
- he/she has not attended defensive driving school within the past 12 months;
- he/she has not attended 5 times within 10 YEARS.
Information about driving schools can be found in the yellow pages of the telephone book under the listing "Driving Instruction" or by visiting the Florida State website.
Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles web site
A fee must be paid in the county in which the citation was received within 30 days and proof of the driving school completion must be provided to the Clerk's office in the county in which the citation was received within 3 months.
Suspended Driver's Licenses:
If a driver's license is suspended because of an unpaid citation in Indian River County, paying the citation plus late fees and reinstatement fees can reinstate it.
With a picture i.d. an individual may purchase his/her own Florida driving record: $15.00 for a three year record or $17.00 for a complete record.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How long do I have to pay a traffic citation?
- Can my court date be changed?
Yes, we can postpone your arraignment court date for two weeks.
- Can I pay my ticket with a credit card?
Yes, in person only.
- Can I have an extension to pay my fine?
Yes. We can extend the due date for traffic ticket fines by two weeks. If you have been assessed a fine by a judge, you need to contact the judge's office.
- What if I plead not guilty and lose in court? Will I have to pay more than if I just paid my ticket?
Generally, yes. Court costs can be assessed and the judge can increase the fine amount.
- How can I determine when I last attended defensive driving school?
You can purchase a driving record from us or visit
- Can I complete the defensive driving school over the Internet?
- Can I rent a defensive driving school tape and complete the school that way?
Yes. The tape can be rented from some video stores.